So I had a bit of a High Fidelity moment the other day, possibly inspired by the fantastic Leeds PlayList blog and wondered about merging two of my favourite things, bikes and music to come up with a Top Ten of Bike Songs. There were some obvious ones that jumped straight out eg Queens double A side, Bicycle Race / Fat Bottomed Girls or you could think about the play on words for example The Pretenders Back on the Chain Gang or what about bike bands for example BMX Bandits, Bombay Bicycle Club, The Spokes.
I went in the end for songs about or featuring bicycles which all of my top 10 do in one way or another. The odd one out is Bat for Lashes but it had to go in and I think you’ll understand when you have a look at the video. There were stacks that missed out and thanks to those of you on twitter who suggested actual songs or play on word songs – they may form another post at some point. I was tempted to go for 11 songs to squeeze in Pedal Your Blues Away by R Crumb and the Cheap Suit Serenaders but in the spirit of Rob Gordon I wanted to come up with the definitive list.
Do let me know what you think – what would you have put in ?
10. Kraftwerk – Tour De France
9. Fyfe Dangerfield – Firebird
8. Red Hot Chili Peppers – Bicycle Song
7. Mark Ronson – The Bike Song
6. Tom Waits – Broken Bicycles
5. Matthew Price – Freedom Machine
4. Coco Love Alcorn – I Got a Bicycle
3. Bat for Lashes – What’s a Girl to Do
2. The Vaselines – Rory Ride me Raw
1. The Decemberists – Apology Song